Pages

Wednesday 23 December 2009

Two good reads

The first post,'Smart muslim chicks who inexplicably scare off guys', is a bit old but it really cracked me up, so I thought I'd share it with you guys :)

Even though I hail from the other side of the Atlantic pond, I did empathise with the main character of the article, sister “Afaf”: in Western terms we are both far from being classed as “over-the-hill”, but in Desi (and perhaps other cultural) terms, we are perishable goods, close to hitting our respective expiry dates, and are in danger of being sold off at a 50% discount, in order to avoid being left on the shelf.

I thought the second article,'Women of Islam: Divinely fortified pillars of strength', was very inspiring. The writer talks about 4 great muslim women who underwent a lot of hardship but continued to remain strong and steadfast.

-The woman whose husband divorced her, then wanted her back:
-The woman who was left by her husband:
-The woman who gave birth alone, because she had no husband
-The woman who was slandered, and lost her husband’s affection for a month

2 comments:

  1. I want to read both. I am reading five books right now, what's another 2?

    They sound really good, especially the second article.

    Salam Alaikum sis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wa alaykum salam, yes they are both good, The second is very inspiring. You should read it even if you don't have time to read the first :)

    ReplyDelete